Life In The Slow Lane...
My photo
San Diego, CA, United States
This is a commentary about the slow lane, about the slowing of time since I suffered a severe brain injury while skateboarding with my dog. This is a blog about recovery; about our '82 VW Westfalia. It's about writing, surfing, camping, married life, bleeding ulcers that make you feel old at 32; about family, friends, and my dog Artie; it's about cruising in fourth gear, getting passed by every car and learning to appreciate every second of it.

Monday, July 6, 2015

Head Trippin

Tomorrow will mark three years since I last posted anything on this blog. During that time I've done my best to get out of my head and reach a new normal. I'd say I've done, with help from my wife Aimee, a pretty decent job at it. We bought a house in San Diego, I have continued to work as a journalist, and, the biggest of all, our son Huxley was born on January 9, 2014. Most recently, however, I published a short book on my injury. For readers of this here blog, there's nothing new. For the book, I took the story I wrote for the San Diego Reader and added posts I wrote for this blog. And even though much of what is in there was written long ago, finishing the book was no easy task. Between taking care of Huxley, trying to hold down a job, maintaining a marriage, and dealing with a shortened attention span, increased frustration, and heightened depression, writing it proved much harder than expected. I did it, though. Through it all, I can't help but to think how close I was to not only dying but not being able to do any of these things. I don't mean that as some silly attempt at pity. For most of my life, especially since the fall, I have had a tendency to focus on the negative. The book for me represents a new chapter, so to speak. It will allow me to move forward with a satisfaction that I at least did my best to tell my story in hopes that it will prevent something similar from happening to another person. Or, at the very minimum, help those who have had similar injuries see that what they are going through is normal and to do their best to accept the deficits with the knowledge that things will improve. So, here's a link to my book. Thanks for reading. Thanks for all of your support. Be swell.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B010KOYA1U/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_guyKvb13FJZ3E

No comments:

Post a Comment