Life In The Slow Lane...
My photo
San Diego, CA, United States
This is a commentary about the slow lane, about the slowing of time since I suffered a severe brain injury while skateboarding with my dog. This is a blog about recovery; about our '82 VW Westfalia. It's about writing, surfing, camping, married life, bleeding ulcers that make you feel old at 32; about family, friends, and my dog Artie; it's about cruising in fourth gear, getting passed by every car and learning to appreciate every second of it.

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Severe Internal Restlessness

Is the restlessness associated with coming off of an anti-depressant immediate? Does it creep up on you a couple of weeks after?

These are my questions since going three consecutive nights with little to no sleep. I'm not sure if it's severe internal restlessness or just a heavy dose of stress but whatever it is it's making me so uncomfortable that I need to pop Ambien to fall asleep.

The sleep deprivation is new. In the past two weeks, since quitting anti-depressants, I have felt better. Rage, and irritability are still present. And, I obsess over some tasks. But, my mood is better. I'm up. I feel with it. I am able to laugh longer than a split second. I am happy to be off the pill. But, of course, there has to be something else.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, its me again, (the one that ended up in a mental hospital) I stopped my paxil increased my adderal, smoked a ton of weed and my moods became dark, I had major insomnia, I would take 5 Benadryl to sleep and still couldnt, I was moody and depressed and not myself, it is a horrible cycle and I kept self medicating to try to rid myself of all the side effects from my brain not getting the Serotonin it was used to. Just be aware of your moods ( lots of people were telling me I wasnt myself, and I ignored them) and listen to what others may be observing of you. Thats my advice from someone who put there family through much worry, please be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Steph. I know how hard it must have been for you. I appreciate the advice. It's something that no one should have to go through, so I am not taking it lightly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you all the best in your struggle. Sometimes though it feels like that's all there is. If its not one thing its another. Just try to laugh as long as you can and cherish the good times for they often seem to last but for a fleeting moment.

    ReplyDelete